10.06.2012

A positive post :)

Like father, like daughter!

Okay, so I feel a bit guilty about all of my recent posts being sad or negative.  Unfortunately, it was reality.  Today was a really good day, so I couldn't wait to get home and tell you about it.  To most of you, it won't seem extraordinarily fabulous or exciting, but I have such a smile in my heart right now that I just needed to share it with you.

Becca's first playdate since July with a child her age was today, and she could not wait for Camden to come over!  She had so much energy this morning that it was amazing.  Usually, when she needs to go upstairs for something, she tries to con Ethan or me into going up with her, saying that she needs help.  This morning, Becca and I started cleaning the playroom (umm... we couldn't walk in it, and Camden was coming over at 11am), and she made four or five trips up and down the stairs to put things where they belonged, retrieve items, etc.  I was planning on starting small... just having her clean/organize with me for 10-15 minutes, but we got the room spit spot, and worked for more than an hour.  What a coincidence that Lily was hungry when we started the project, and she managed to "eat" for the whole time!  Anyway, Becca and I spent a large amount of time sorting the Polly Pockets in a large tub, the Squinkies in a smaller container, the Littlest Pet Shops and Zoobles in another large tub, and the Barbies, Barbie horses, carriages, accessories, and furniture in two large fabric baskets.  Notice I didn't even mention the dress up clothes, arts and craft supplies, the plastic food and dishes, the puzzles, the dolls, the musical instruments, and the fake guns.  Yes, all of these things live in our playroom.  Needless to say, we finished up a few minutes before Camden and her mommy rang the doorbell.

The girls started out coloring next to each other, with Lily helping to find just the right page and markers for Camden, and we could hear the giggles from the other room.  Becca was a chatty little thing, acting pretty goofy, but that could have been her way of covering up a little bit of nervousness.  She has been the center of attention for the past six months, and really hasn't needed to share much, so I was wondering how the playdate would go.  I must admit that I was a little worried about Becca's language, as she has been freely using certain words at home with us that might not be as acceptable to other families.  I forgot to talk with her about it before Camden got here, so I pulled Lily aside and she understood.  When Becca left Camden in the playroom to ask me something, I spoke with her quickly about not using inappropriate language, and she immediately got a worried look on her face.  She said, "I'm sorry... I already said something that might not have been appropriate."  With her eyebrows furrowed, she said, "I think I said, 'What the hell?' I'm sorry!"  I was trying to not burst out laughing, so I calmly told her that it's okay. Camden might not have heard or understood her, but to not use that expression or the word that means "butt" anymore.  She whispered to me that she wouldn't use "boobies" either, because it's not funny or appropriate.  I wish that you could have seen her expression... it was precious.

Despite the "language barrier," the girls had a good time.  Becca didn't really play with Camden all that much, claiming that she didn't want to play what Camden wanted to play.  Camden kept trying to get her to play Barbies with her, but it was more of a parallel play kind of situation.  It seems as if Becca has regressed a bit, due to being away from other children for so long, so we will need to work on some social interaction skills.  It's a good problem to have, considering we never thought we would make it this far.

Once Camden left, Becca was a little wiped out.  We had some puzzle and cuddle time, then we made  brownies with Ethan.  It took some coaxing, but I talked her into going on an adventure with me while Daddy went hunting.  Though Becca loves to go shopping, she is quite hesitant to go to new places.  She's worried she'll need to go to the bathroom, or she'll be around too many people and get sick.  Yeah, I think she's been listening to us...  It's almost as if home is a safe, comfy place for her, and she doesn't want to leave it.  At the same time, she's bored at home and has cabin fever.  How hard it would be to only be six years old and worrying about these things.

Becca and I headed over to Joann Fabrics to find some new fabric for our dining room chairs.  We picked out the perfect one, but there was only a yard left, and the line was a mile long.  I will try to locate it at another store, because both of us loved it.  Becca really does have an eye for color and patterns.  She wanted every cheetah print fabric we saw, and I wanted to buy some and sew something for her.  It was SO crowded, though, that I didn't want to wait in line when I knew the window of her feeling good might be shutting.  She told me that when she's a grown-up, she's ONLY going to wear cheetah print (LOL).

IKEA was the ultimate destination, and we had a blast riding in the car and singing on the way.  I know Kidz Bop 20 by heart, and so does Becca, so there was even a plethora of hand motions going on in our car.  I don't know if I have mentioned in the blog before how one of my favorite things to do is to ride in the car with the girls while we sing.  It used to be Lori Berkner songs when they were smaller, then the Mamma Mia soundtrack, but now we've moved on to the Black Eyed Peas and Kidz Bop.  I will often readjust my rearview mirror so that I can watch Becca while I drive.  Seeing her so happy and feeling so good tonight brought me smiles and tears of joy at the same time.

I know... it's not the wild, crazy Saturday evening many of you have (or had when you were younger), but it's been a great day!  Just had to share...
TK

P.S. Seeing Becca sing "My Hump" by the Black Eyed Peas is simultaneously hilarious and disturbing. :)

4 comments:

Momto3awesomekids said...

awesome and so heart warming!!!!

Timmiera said...

This is such a great post! I am so happy to "see" the smile in your post. I am very interested in a video of Becca singing "My hump" some time soon!
Love and Light!
~T

LaDonna said...

Thanks for sharing the smiles!!

Mrs. C. said...

All I have to say is your playroom isn't NEARLY messy enough if you can get it "spit spot" in about an hour....

I'm glad things are looking up.