6.10.2012

Blood products...

 Becca's new friend Elizabeth made the trip back to the hospital a little better!

 Sisters enjoying playtime together - don't you love the bee hat?!

 Becca and I found a cool courtyard outside on a morning excursion Saturday.  
So nice to get fresh air...

Another little courtyard with huge statues of Alvin, Simon, and Becca's favorite, Theodore


Not much to report tonight except that Becca's counts have fallen, so now it's a waiting game to see when they will rebound.  She is finished with chemo until next month when we come in for the bone marrow transplant.  Becca received packed red blood cells yesterday, since her hemoglobin was low, and platelets today.  They were planning on waiting to give platelets until she went a bit lower, but she ended up with a pretty massive nosebleed today.  Let me just say that the weekend was a bit traumatic for Becca.  She doesn't like the word "blood," doesn't like to see blood or blood products (especially going into or out of her body), she thinks platelets are chemo that makes her bones hurt, and she feels ill looking at where her central line goes into her body.  Our weekend revolved around all of those things.  She needed a dressing change Friday night, blood transfusion on Saturday, and platelets on Sunday due to low platelet count and nosebleed.  As a bonus, when Lily was there with us tonight, Becca vomited as a result of taking a really gross medication, and Lily has trouble handling it when Becca throws up.  She jumped up from Becca's bed quick as a flash and ran to the corner of the room behind the recliner, crying until Becca stopped. 

Want to write more (happier things) tonight, but I'm wiped and keep falling asleep.  Ethan or I will update again soon...

P.S. Again, a HUGE thanks to all of you blood and/or platelet donors out there!  You are saving lives every day... I know I appreciate you!

TK  

5 comments:

Aunt Lou and Uncle Rick said...

So sorry to hear Becca threw up. I'm glad we timed our visit so well - between the nap/nosebleed and vomiting. I would have been crying in the corner w/Lily and I'm too old for that! It was great seeing you, sorry we missed you, Ethan!

Love, Lou and Rick

Bonnie said...

Glad to hear that overall Becca is feeling well. We will be admitted on Wednesday for Maya to get her port and LP and probably to start treatment. I check your blog from time to time to see how Becca is doing. We will look for you while we are there. I'm sure Maya would love to meet Miss Becca. Hang in there. You guys are doing great!

Bonnie Collins

Renee and Jon said...

Praying that the platelets and blood transfusion make for a happier and uneventful week. I am praying for her counts to rebound as well. Looking forward to having Lily with us. I plan to be up there this week - miss Becca Boo!

Timmiera said...

Glad to see a smile on her face even if it's between "blood" and "vomit". Finding secret spots is a great way to brighten up your day. Hope all of the counts rebound and you are getting the heck out of there really soon. I will call for a dinner date next week!
Love and Light,
Timmiera

Momto3awesomekids said...

THe pictures are lovely....I'm so sad to hear that Becca is enduring all of this & that Lily is having a hard time with seeing her little sister so ill. It breaks my heart for all of you. I can only imagine the physical, emotional and mental exhaustion that follows you all. You all are in my daily prayers.