6.26.2011

To catch you up...

No news is good news... right?! That's why Mommy hasn't updated you in a LONG time. That's her story, and she's sticking to it.


Here's what's been going on - a story in pics and a few words:



My "No More Chemo" party (late January) was so much fun! In fact, when Lily and I got home, we said that it was the "best day EVER!"


Thank You sign hung before No More Chemo Party



Becca post-party (within five minutes of leaving)


Big Cousin Mason with Becca



Dr. Absalon and family


It was a really yummy cake!


Lily had her tonsils and adenoids removed at the end of February. She was a trooper, but she had to spend the night because her pulse ox wouldn't come up after six hours in the PACU. Lily was pretty disappointed that she didn't get to go to the playroom and was adamant that the hospital was not as fun as it had looked when I stayed there.



They took her tonsils, adenoids, and a TOOTH, and all she got was some popsicles!



Irish girls


Cutie Becca


Roller Becca



Little Becca Riding Hood



The night before Easter (AKA Mommy's birthday), I ended up in the ER due to a fever of 103.8 and what they determined to be pneumonia. Luckily, Mommy and I were able to go to the Children's in Liberty Township around dinner time, and they got us right in. I fell asleep around 11:45, after the x-rays and blood draw and during my infusion of antibiotics, and they released us around 12:30am on Easter. Since my counts were okay, they attributed the fever to the pneumonia. They gave me a prescription to fill for another antibiotic. We went to brunch at Daddy's club on Easter morning (see pic below), and before we could even pick up the prescription, Mommy got a call from the hospital, saying that I needed to go to Children's because my labs showed that I had a bacterial infection in my blood. Daddy took me that afternoon, and they gave me another antibiotic but released us that evening. We had to go back to the clinic the next morning, but since I was doing better, I didn't have to stay. Wow... as Mommy and Daddy found out later, I really dodged a bullet on that illness! Dr. Absalon said that the bacterial infection I had was really serious, and that another child who came in around the same time with it ended up inpatient for 28 days. Luckily, I had the right protocol of antibiotics!


Easter at Daddy's club




I graduated from preschool in mid-May, and I'm now a Kindergartener! I'm having trouble understanding why I'm not "going" to Kindergarten yet, though. Almost every day, I wake up and ask if I'm going to Kindergarten today. When is this "fall" thing going to come?!



Mrs. Kim and Mrs. Kathy with me on preschool graduation day


I've grown since the first day of preschool when I posed by this tree


The 5th annual Butterfly Walk for CancerFree KIDS was an amazingly successful event! Over $85,000 was raised this year! Becca's Believers has a three-year total of over $10,500... thank you to all of you who have supported our team in the three years since we started participating. Wouldn't it be awesome if research dollars provided by the Butterfly Walk helped researchers find a cure for pediatric cancer?!




Lemonade stand for CancerFree KIDS



Our AWESOME 2011 Butterfly Walk team - Becca's Believers



We celebrated Mother's Day with Mommy, Nana, Great Nana, Great Papa, Uncle Bill, and Aunt Mary at DeSha's. It was nice to spend time with family, but the food sure didn't compare to Daddy's cooking!

Mother's Day



Lily is now a second-grader!



Lily's last day of first grade


I was asked to participate in the survivor lap for the Relay for Life, and I was definitely the youngest survivor there. If you've seen the survivor lap before, you know that people who have survived cancer walk the first lap around the track together, with a few individuals holding the banner, and other participants in the relay clapping around the edges of the track. I started out holding the banner with Fancy Nancy, but then I got a smirk on my face, let go of the banner, and took off running ahead of the procession. Bottom line was that I thought it was a race! Lily ran the whole lap with me, and we didn't stop until I crossed the finish line. Mommy was really excited to see me feeling so good with so much energy. She said there was no way I could have run this much last year at this time.

Playing in the middle of the field after the survivor lap at the Relay for Life



One of our favorite things so far this summer was the Butterfly Show at Krohn Conservatory. I kept asking when the music was going to start (it's called a "show" after all).



We were decked out in butterflies, and they kept landing on us


So, here's the deal... I'm feeling great, I'm full of energy, and I'm finally growing! I think the chemo is finally out of my body. Mommy, Lily, Nana, Papa, and I are heading to Williamsburg, VA, to visit with my cousins Rachel and Ricky (and Uncle Rick and Aunt Louisa) for a few days. I'm so excited to see them, and I'm looking forward to going to the beach and seeing the fireworks in such a patriotic place.


Following our trip, I'll be turning five! Do you believe it?! Finally, I'm having a birthday again... I've been asking when I was going to have one again since I turned four last year. This year is going to be a "Princess and the Frog" birthday; that's what I've requested. I'll have Mommy post pictures.


The plan is to go to the clinic on June 12 for my next checkup. We're hoping for good labs, because we are leaving for the UP the next week. I will also get lots of immunizations (to catch me up, since I haven't had any since being diagnosed when I was two). Mommy hasn't told me yet, so ignorance is bliss.


I promise Mommy won't wait as long to update you the next time. Please realize that when she doesn't update the blog, it's because I'm feeling really good, and we're busy! This is surely a GOOD thing...

No comments: