7.05.2010

Brief updates

Don't forget to check out the video at the very bottom of this post!



Hippie me!



LOVE my big girl bed!


I built some cool sandcastles at the beach.



Look at me go!




My first 4th birthday celebration...





Lily and I on the beach...







Okay, so Mommy's been bad about updating my blog. I can't believe she hasn't typed anything for me since May 6th! So much has happened since then. Hmmm... where should I begin? In the name of efficiency, I'll just have her key in some bullet points to catch you up quickly:



  • The Butterfly Walk (our second) was again an amazing event! Though freezing cold and again very windy, we had a blast. Fifty wonderful people ended up joining our Becca's Believers team, and in the end it turned out that we were the second highest fundraising team, collecting $3,239 for CancerFree Kids! How cool is that?! Thank you to all of you who supported our team by donating or walking. I'm guessing that the event will be held on the Saturday before Mother's Day next year, so we hope you'll be able to join us.


  • Our new puppy Finn is getting much bigger. He is heavier and larger than me now, but I'm so vocal that he knows I am the boss. One of Finn's favorite pasttimes is to steal stuffed animals that I am carrying and run with them so that we all chase him while saying "Aannhhhhh!"


  • I'm not wearing diapers anymore! Wahoo! I know... I'm almost four years old, so it's about time, but please give me a break. I was nearly potty trained when I was diagnosed almost two years ago, but it's really difficult to lug an IV pole into the bathroom at the hospital every time you feel like you might need to go, and when I was on steroids for 30 days straight, I didn't want to get up for ANYTHING. In addition, the way that the chemo has affected my bowels is something I don't want to get into right now, but let's just say that it threw a wrench into Mommy and Daddy's plans to help me with potty training. Anyway... about a month ago, I decided that I wanted to go poopy on the potty so that I could have a big girl bed. Mommy and Daddy had tried every other bribe imaginable already. Though I loved my crib and didn't want to give it up until recently, I have had my eye on a lavender Tinkerbell toddler bed. I told Mommy I didn't want to wear diapers anymore, and there's been no turning back! I even gave all of my diapers to Kenlie next door, since I won't need them any longer (not even at naptime and bedtime). Mommy is keeping me on steady doses of Colace, and this has made it so much easier. I love how she gets so excited when I go poopy, and I make sure to tell her (as well as anyone else who is available) to come see every time I go. I'm pretty proud of myself, and I really can't wait to be "growned-up" (that's how I say it)!


  • Mommy, Lily, and I took a vacation to Myrtle Beach in the middle of June. Miss Kara and Emma were awesome hostesses, and they allowed us to stay with them in their condo. This year at the beach was so much better because I have a port! If you'll recall, I had a central line (external tube on my chest) last summer when we went to Myrtle Beach, and I had to try to stay dry so that my dressing didn't need to be changed. Yeah, right... EXACTLY! I'm becoming a good little swimmer with the help of my hot pink swim arms, and I am quite brave. During the trip I started putting my face in the water much more (without prompting and crying that I had water in my eyes). Unfortunately, I started experiencing some leg weakness during the trip, so I wanted Mommy to carry me a lot. Not too easy when she was trying to transport everything else under the sun to the beach and back... She ended up buying me a new stroller, and that helped a ton (although strollers don't work so well on sand, in case you weren't aware). The hardest part of the trip had to be the car ride there and back. Mommy and Miss Kara decided to leave at 3am to drive to Myrtle Beach, thinking we would sleep until at least 6 or 7am. That didn't happen, and Lily was already talking about being homesick 30 minutes into the trip. It took us 12 hours to get there with five stops. On the way home, Miss Kara and Mommy decided to leave at 6am, since they knew we probably wouldn't sleep anyway. We made good time getting out of the beach area (REALLY good time), but then we hit traffic, construction, and tons of potty breaks around the Asheville area. So... 13 hours and about seven or eight potty stops later, we made it home.


  • Since we've been back, Lily, Mommy, and I have been swimming a lot, going to story time at the library, and just having fun playing. Lily and I are finally starting to play together really well, at least until I ruin it by instigating an argument (sometimes just because I want to). Oh, yeah... I had a clinic visit on the day after Father's Day, too. I wiggled while Nurse Pam was trying to access my port, though, and so she had to stick me a second time in order to get the needle in the right place. Needless to say, I was a little angry, and I told Mommy that I was never ever going to do that again. I ask her all the time if it hurt when she was little and got her chemo, but I don't understand why she didn't have to get chemo (or take medicine like I do). Mommy asked Dr. Absalon about my funny gait (I had been almost limping again while we were on vacation), and he said that he sees it all the time in kids (even teenagers), and it's a result of the chemo. It's just leg weakness and almost looks like I am delayed in my development. I guess I need to continue my exercising. I also wrote my name for the first time during that clinic visit! I made a picture for Dr. Absalon, and I wrote my name perfectly. How cool is that?!


  • The best news of all... I am turning four this week! Yes, my birthday ("my Tinkerbell birthday," as I refer to it) is coming. I cannot wait! Mommy and Daddy already gave me a big present, and I thank them for it every day. I have a new, "big girl" bike and helmet. I want to ride it constantly, and I'm wearing down the concrete on the sidewalk between our house and the Bachmans'. The morning after I got the bike and rode it for two hours straight, I opened Mommy and Daddy's door at 6:15 am, telling them that the sun was up and I wanted to ride my bike. I don't understand why they didn't think it was a good idea...


  • The final bit of news is that we are leaving for a vacation in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) in Michigan in a few days. The last time Lily, Mommy, and I went, I had just turned one and didn't walk yet. We're all looking forward to the trip, and Nanna B., Poppa, and Great Nanna are going to be there with us at the same time! There will be hiking, blueberry picking (Mommy's favorite), fishing (Daddy's favorite), swimming (if the water's not too cold), and lots of family time. I hear I might even get to see Uncle Matt, Aunt Laurel, Uncle Jon, and perhaps Aunt Emily and Anja. We are taking lots of bug spray, 'cause I hear that the state bird of Michigan is the mosquito.

I hope you are all having a good summer and this post finds you happy and healthy! I will update you sooner the next time...


Love and hugs,
Becca



I thought I would leave you with a laugh...



video

6 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for the update! Love the vid. We will be coming to MQT on Saturday the 10th and staying till Tuesday or Wednesday. Anja is looking forward to picking berries and swimming too.

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Katich Family said...

great entry... I love your "Mommy perspective" So glad she is doing well and looks absolutely beautiful.

Christine, Randy said...

Love the video. Becca has grown up so much since the last time I saw her. She is beautiful!
Blessings ~ Christine