6.08.2009

Increasing tolerance

No, I'm not talking about alcohol, but something even more deadly! My tolerance for the steadily increasing doses of Methotrexate (AKA mean chemo) has increased a ton since my first interim maintenance (IM) phase of treatment. During IM #1, they were only able to give me three doses of Methotrexate before they had to cut it off because my counts were too low. Right now (in IM #2), I already received dose number four, and they'll be giving me number five tomorrow morning. Mommy was pretty sure that I wouldn't be getting it tomorrow, because on Thursday, my ANC was only 300. In order to get the dose, it needs to be over 1000, and my platelets need to be over 100K. The surprising thing was that my ANC was 1190 and platelets were 392K today!

Though this is good news in that it means I am tolerating the chemo very well, it is bad because I will get both Vincristine and (a really BIG dose of) Methotrexate through my central line tomorrow. This will dramatically drop my counts by the weekend or early next week, so I'll be feeling yucky again and needing to wear a mask when in public places.

My appetite just started picking up again over the weekend. I hadn't been eating very much since my last dose of chemo on the 29th. Things don't taste so good to me, although I do love pink Gogurt. I've lost some weight lately (13.6 kg - 29.92 lbs. - today, which is still less than my starting weight in October), and everyone keeps asking me what I want to eat when I tell them I'm hungry. I reply, "I don't know," and then repeat, "I'm hungry." Mommy and Daddy are getting a little frustrated, but I can't help it.

My hair is growing back! I wore a couple of little tiny barrettes and a bow today, and I can't wait to wear a "purple pony." That's my dream. My hair was actually sticking up yesterday... I like having that "problem" again.

I'm feeling great right now, though, and that's what's important. Mommy and Daddy are catching me running, dancing, singing, and playing constantly. I don't want to lie around at all, and I am loving playing with Kalee and Katelyn next door. Everyone is shocked at my energy, but I've been saving it up. I'm also working on potty training and even sported my big girl Dora panties most of the day. Dora was "happy" (I stayed dry) until Mommy got home, and I even stayed dry through naptime. Unfortunately, I had to apologize to Dora for turning her yellow before dinner and brown after dinner, though...

2 comments:

Ellen Mason said...

Wow, Becca, it's great to hear that you're doing so good. And you're even potty training? That's awesome! I can't wait to see your hair growing back in. That's so exciting. We will pray that you feel well after the next doses of chemo. We missed you at the Relay for Life at LHS. We ended up going last minute. Hope to see you soon.

The OBrien Family said...

We're still praying for you Becca!