3.02.2009

Back at Children's

I need to tell you that I felt simply miserable yesterday. I didn't want to play (or even stand up) at all. The majority of the day was spent with me moaning in a fetal position on the couch. I only ate smoothies, and I made Mommy watch Dora all day long.


Daddy called the clinic this morning, since my condition didn't improve overnight. They told him to bring me in. We sat in the same room of the clinic (with no bed, mind you) from around 10:30 this morning until we were moved to the hem/onc ward around 5:30. I didn't eat much at all, I napped for only half an hour, and I felt like total garbage. Needless to say, when Mommy arrived in the clinic, I was fit to be tied. I just kept sobbing that I wanted to go home and I didn't want to go to the hospital.


They don't know what is going on with my body to make me feel so bad. The doctor had told Daddy last week to be especially observant of how I was behaving, because the steroids could mask symptoms of infection. I haven't had a fever or any other viral symptoms. In the past few weeks, I acted lethargic after Friday's chemo on Saturday, but by Sunday, I was feeling better and playing. Not so this weekend!


Before they got the blood tests back today, they were all set to give me a blood transfusion, since I looked so pale and I exhibited the typical symptoms for anemia. Once the tests came back with acceptable hemoglobin levels, they decided that a transfusion wasn't necessary. My ANC is down at 210, but other than that, my counts are okay.


Dr. Hummel seems puzzled by this mystery, and he told us that they would keep me here in the hospital for 24-48 hours on Zosyn and see what (if anything) the blood cultures grow. If I spike a temperature, then they'll need to start over to figure out what is going on.


Please pray for me so that I can recover from whatever is making me feel so bad. While I want to feel better, I also would like to go home and continue with the scheduled treatment protocol.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Wow, I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy, Becca. It must be frustrating to not know what's wrong. I hope they are able to figure it out and get you back on track. We think of you often.