11.23.2008

Days 4 & 5 (Consolidation)






It's been an up and down couple of days, and I haven't felt like writing. Yesterday morning, first thing, Mommy and Daddy got scary news from our resident, Dr. Dan. He said something like, "Oh, so you've heard the results from the EKG and echo cardiogram?" Mommy replied that they hadn't, and he told them that I had a hole in my heart but not to freak out. Needless to say, Mommy freaked out, and Daddy wasn't totally calm either. They paged the doctor to get things cleared up.

Dr. Absalon came in and explained that I have a Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO), which means that the valve between the left and right atria in my heart has not closed up yet. It is normally open in infants, and then it closes up on its own eventually. Dr. Absalon told us that it is not a concern to him, and it won't affect my treatment in any way. He said that, in fact, his wife had hers closed up when she was 30 years old. Later in the day, we actually found out that up to 30% of American adults have this, too, and they never know it. Of course, I wonder how the doctors know 30% have it if those American adults don't even know they have it. While it's not of consequence right now, the cardiologist said that before I have my own children I will need to have it checked to make sure the valve has closed.

The good news Saturday was that we were still on track to be discharged from the hospital on Tuesday after my central line is placed. Since my counts were good (platelets were at 150,000 and ANC was at 830), we also were told that we could have a "day pass" that would allow us four hours away from the hospital. Mommy and Daddy were so excited, but they didn't want to go home. They felt that I wouldn't want to come back to the hospital (which I'm sure is true), so instead, they decided on Nanna B. and Poppa's house. Unfortunately, their heat was out and Nanna B. was having tooth pain, so they decided we would go Sunday instead. Bummer... I really wanted to get out of here.

Early Sunday morning, I ended up with a fever (the first since we've been in the hospital). The doctor told Mommy and Daddy that we wouldn't be leaving Tuesday, there would be no day pass on Sunday, and they would not be putting in my central line on Tuesday. Mommy and Daddy were pretty crushed. They decided to do some blood cultures and a stool culture, and now we just need to wait for the results. My ANC was 940, and my platelets were at 124,000, so the numbers weren't too bad.

I've had some leg pain over the past couple of days, so Dr. Absalon started me on a very small dose of Oxycodone. The pain isn't slowing me down, though. I have been dancing to Laurie Berkner songs, walking a little, cooking in the playroom kitchen, and doing lots of art projects.


4 comments:

Great Uncle Jon said...

Hello Becca,

I really like the colors you are using in the painting that you are doing. They look like some of Great Nanna's favorite colors that she likes to use when she paints. I hope you will be gong home soon.

Love, Great Uncle Jon

Maria and Matt said...

Becca,
We love you soooo much and we hope to get to see you for Thanksgiving! We are keeping our fingers crossed and praying, hoping and wishing upon every shining star that you can come home! Even if we have to dress up like turkeys, we are dying to see you and want to hug you, kiss you and tell you how incredibly wonderful, beautiful and special you are!! We love you sooo much Becca!! Keep on smiling and bringing joy to everyone, and hopefully we can gobble with each other!! Huge hugs and kisses sunshine!
Lots of love, The Hilsmier clan

Aunt Lou and Uncle Rick said...

Trisha, Ethan, Becca, and Lily,

We're so sorry to hear you can't be home for Thanksgiving. We will keep praying that you get better, Becca. We are looking forward to seeing you after Christmas!

Uncle Rick, Aunt Lou, Rachel and Ricky

Kim, Nate and Maddie said...

Becca,
We are so sorry that you will not make it home for this Thanksgiving. Keep smiling for Mommy and Daddy...they need it. Hang in there and you will be home before you know it. Hugs and kisses!
Love,
Kim, Nate and Maddie