10.26.2008

Day 5

It started out as a rough day again, when they kept me up from 3am-4am doing the same things they did the night before. I was pretty grumpy until Mommy's friend Kate from work came in bearing toys and yummy treats to bring me out of my funk. I didn't even want to go out to rounds once I got distracted by the toy basket, and that it is usually one of my favorite parts of the day. Daddy and Kate went out to get another huge basket full of comfort and entertainment items for Mommy and Daddy, while I licked a lollipop and used my new markers in a coloring book. The thoughtfulness of Mommy's friends from the Intermediate and Middle School amazes me!

I got worn out after just a few minutes of playing with the new toys, so Mommy put me down for a nap. I woke up really hungry and ate three chicken nuggets (quickly), as well as almost a full bag of Sun Chips. This was the most I had eaten in a few days.

I got my second blood transfusion today (I'm O+, by the way). I think it will help me have more energy... I hope so, anyway. I fell asleep around 4pm again, right after Nana came in and before Lily and Nanna B. arrived. That morphine stuff sure makes me tired, but I'm glad they're managing my pain a little.

I woke up from my nap roaring mad, because Mommy and Daddy were gone, and Nanna B. and Nana were with me. Why did they leave me? Nana carried me down to the cafeteria, while Nanna B. pushed my IV pole. Mommy, Daddy, and Lily were getting dinner, so I guess that's why they abandoned me. Lily was acting a little loopy, and Mommy and Daddy kept attributing it to the fact that she didn't have a nap. I know I don't act right without a nap either.

After dinner, we were a sight to behold... Mommy carrying me (because I wouldn't let anyone else do it) and holding a weeping and heartbroken Lily by the right hand, while Nana pushed the IV pole, Nanna B. carried all of the "stuff," and Daddy held Lily's other hand. Lily ended up sobbing and having a total meltdown when she had to leave with Nana, and Mommy and Daddy cried in the alligator (elevator) on the way up to the room. Man, this is really hard...

14 comments:

Laurel said...

We are following along and thinking of you constantly. Please pass along ideas of what we can do from afar. It sounds like you are all doing an amazing job of coping. Becca, get all this treatment behind you so you can come to camp, climb our new stone wall and throw rocks in Lake Michigamme. Love, Aunt Laurel

The Federmans said...

We just wanted you to know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Steve& Bethany Federman

Taylor Family said...

Hi Becca,
Mama Nise told me you weren't feeling well and were in the hospital. Just hold tight to your Dora Blankie and Mommy and Daddy when you are scared(they always make me feel better). Hope you feel better and we can play together at Mama Nise's soon. Everyone in my family has you in our thoughts and prayers.

Karleigh

the Miranda family said...

Just got your blog forwarded to me from our friends at the middle school. We are thinking of you and Becca and saying lots of prayers for added strength during these difficult days.

Anderson Family said...

We wanted to let you know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers. The blog is fantastic and a great way to keep track of how strong this little angel really is. Maddie sends a big HUG,KISSes and all of her dreams to Becca. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
Love,
Kim, Nate and Maddie

Diane said...

Trisha,

We are all following your blog.
Let us know if you need anything even if it's just an ear!
I am type O- if you need me!
I have always been a big chicken about giving blood...but, I will be a big girl for Becca! LOL

diane

Kyle said...

Great job on the blogging, Trisha. You are right, it's just like I would do if I were in your situation (assuming I was as much of a superhero as you are). You, Ethan and Becca are all certainly living up to the challenges you've been given in an admirable way. I'm keeping Lily in my thoughts as well. I think about poor Becca several times a day and try to send her strength, peace, comfort and joy.

Brooke Hobson said...

Hi Trisha & Becca,
I am thinking of you and your beautiful family everyday and am now reading your blog... You are an inspiration. You have TOTAL UT even at Children's Hospital! If you need a pizza, pasta, or a big hug from a crazy red-head - you know who to call! We all miss you at school & can't wait for some good news about Becca.
Lots of love,
Brooke

Laura Parsley said...

Hi Trisha,

Nancy Garfinkel sent me your blog address. Just wanted to let you know that Becca and your family are in my prayers. I have two friends whose children were treated for cancer at Children's Hospital. The doctors, nurses and staff were wonderful! Becca is in very good hands. Hang in there and don't worry about school. That's what subs are for!

Laura Parsley

The Hundley Family said...

You are such a brave little girl, Becca. I will try and find you some more Princess fruit snacks, so Mommy won't have to be so stingy with them (sheesh, only 3 packs?)! I know that in addition to making you moody, steroids can make you very HUNGRY!

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kelly Hundley

Shawn said...

Trisha,

I wanted you to know that you, Becca, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Shawn Flick
LECC

Natalie said...

Hi Becca,
My name is Finn and I had ALL just like you! We used to live in Ohio and I began treatment at Columbus Childrens, but finished treatment in Colorado. I was diagnosed when I was 17 months old and I finished chemo just a little over a year ago. I just turned 6 last week and I started kindergarten this year!

I know this is a really hard time for you--my mom knows it, too (she used to babysit for Hillary, who teaches with your mom, and that's how we found you). But you can do it! You can! And you will! Things will continue to improve and you'll find out what your "new normal" will be. It may seem like a long way off right now, but it will get better! I'll check on you often!

Love,
The Mighty Finn Rooney
(www.caringbridge.org/oh/finnrooney)

Maria and Matt said...

Hey Trish,
Wish I was there to give everyone a huge hug and tell you how amazing you are, and how your strength, optimism, and ability to see the sun through the clouds is nothing but inspirational! Thanks for the blog, it helps to feel connected through Becca's story. I'm O+, so once you say the word, I'll give as often as I can! I send my love and support! Hang in there..if you need anything, feel free to ask, anytime!

The Wards said...

Hi Becca!

We heard you weren't feeling well but it sounds like you're doing a great job being strong and getting better. Let us know if you or your Mommy, Daddy or Lily need or want anything! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Love, Tom Kim and Ella