10.24.2008

Day 3


What a rude awakening! I woke up Mommy around 2:45 am, telling her about my tummy and my legs hurting. After she changed my diaper, I puked all over my bed. It was really scary for me, because I hadn't ever vomited before. The doctor had told Mommy and Daddy that they might start seeing some of the side effects of the chemo today, and I hoped there wasn't more of this to come. Following the cleanup of my body and bed, the nurse gave me a small dose of morphine, and I slept really well until around 8am.

The first face I saw at wake-up time was my Nanna B's. I sure love her! She can always make me laugh. She stayed for a little while before her meeting and said she would come back before lunchtime. Daddy, Mommy, and I went out into the hallway for rounds this morning (nothing new in the reports from the doctors), and I told those doctors that I was going to eat French toast for breakfast. I wasn't clutching a chocolate donut in my hand like I was yesterday, but they still thought I was adorable.

I didn't feel like doing very much all day. I really wanted to cuddle, and I didn't have a desire to play. My legs were hurting again, so the nurse gave me a dose of morphine before my nap. I slept for almost three hours (the best nap I've had since being here), and when I woke up, I got to work with Jessica, the speech therapist. She assessed my comprehension and verbal skills, and though I got tired and sandbagged the test, I still came out above average for a toddler my age. If I had been at the top of my game (and not angry at being poked), I'm sure I would've ranked as gifted.

The scariest part of the day came next when I got another dose of chemo (PEG, or asparaginase), but this one was shot directly into my thighs. Daddy and Mommy had been warned a few days ago that this injection had many risks, the most serious of which was anaphylaxis. They looked a little nervous as Mommy held my hands, Daddy held my legs, and the nurses jabbed my thighs (numbed by EMLA). I cried and used my newly-invented words, but it was over pretty quickly. By this point, I had had enough of being poked and messed with, and I kind of shut down for the night, curling up on my Dora couch to watch Baby Einstein. I hoped that tomorrow would be an easier day...


4 comments:

The OBrien Family said...

Hi Becca!

We wish you a speedy recovery! You go girl!

Love,

Mark, Molly, Emma, Evan & Ethan OBrien

Barb King said...

My name is Barb King. Michelle McCarthy contacted me and gave me Becca's blog. Our son Thomas was diagnosed with Leukemia October 24, 2005. He was 2 years old. He is now 5 and will be finished with his chemotherapy on December 30. No doubt, this is the beginning of a long journey for Becca and your family. We thought we would never get there, but here we are..so close to the end. My advice to you is to just take one day at a time. Don't look too far ahead. Soon you will find Becca hitting milestones. I know what you are all going through. I read your entries and remember. But with love, prayer and support from those who love you and those who may not even know you personally, you will make it through. And these kids....they are so resilient, much more than us grown ups! Our family will be holding your family up in prayer. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to call me...513-494-0117.

Kim and Sean said...

Becca (and Mommy, Daddy, and big sister Lily),

My mommy tells me you aren't feeling well. I am very sorry to hear that and wish that we were closer so that we could play and help you feel better! I remember that you like playing dress-up and that we had fun together last time we were in Ohio! Our best wishes and thoughts are being sent your way....

Love,
Ashleigh (and my parents, too)

Great Uncle Jon said...

Hello Becca!

Im sorry that you are sick. It sounds like you are doing a great job of helping the doctors and nurses make you better. I've talked to your Daddy, Poppa and Uncle Jonathan and they all tell me how brave you are being. I'll be happy when you can go home and sleep in your own bed. Won't that feel good?

Love, Great Uncle Jon