10.20.2008

Day -1

Well, I woke up to more poking and "hugging" many times throughout the night, so I didn't have the restful sleep that I normally have at home. Two nurses, Kelly and Sarah, took care of checking my vitals that first night. I whined and screamed every time they took my blood pressure, and they had to untangle me from my IV each time they came in.

Daddy, Mommy, and I met with that new Dr. Absalon oncologist (the attending) that Dr. Hummel had mentioned in the ER downstairs. At the same time, Dr. Pope (the fellow) and Dr. Wood (the resident) were involved in our discussions. Dr. Absalon told Mommy and Daddy that we were going to slow things down a bit, since we had a little luxury of time. Rather than doing my procedure around two or three o'clock that afternoon and trying to keep me from eating all day, they would do what they called "drawing some labs" that would go through a special test that morning, and by the evening, we would all know if I indeed had leukemia, and which type it was (ALL or AML). If you'll remember, we were rooting for the ALL. The BMA and LP plus the first dose of chemo would be scheduled for the first thing in the morning (so I could eat all day Monday!).

Daddy and Mommy (and Nanna B. and Poppa, who stopped in that morning) were a little confused as to this change in course, but after further discussion, they decided it would be best for me (and my belly). I was so excited about the chocolate donuts that morning, and everyone said my color had perked up since the blood transfusion last night. They checked my vitals all morning again, drew the "labs" that they had mentioned (OWWEEE!), and I met a lot of people. One that I really liked was Brandi; she works in Child Life, and her job is to play with kids all day and make the awful things not-so-awful. The people Daddy and Mommy talked with included Casi (a social worker who would help them to deal with the finances of my disease) and Tina (the care coordinator who said she would give Mommy and Daddy a calendar of what would happen when, as well as lots of "stuff" to read about leukemia).

Before lunch, Nana came by the hospital, and she and Mommy gave me a bath in the bathtub room (yes, there is a special room for it, since we only have a shower in our room). I didn't really enjoy the bath, because I couldn't get my left paddle wet, I didn't have my normal bath toys, and I just was not comfy. There was a funny part to it, though. As Mommy took me out of the tub to wrap me in towels, Nana reached over to drain the tub. Guess what? She fell in! Yes, she slipped on the water and gracefully flipped around so that her hiney went in the remaining water. After Mommy showed some concern, they both started laughing when they realized that Nana wasn't hurt (well, I guess her pride was). The rest of the day, I proceeded to tell everyone (including Nana), "Nana fell in tub." I didn't laugh about it, though... I just said it in a matter of fact way.

After my nap, we got some good news. Dr. Absalon and Dr. Pope came in to tell us that I had the ALL B-cell type of leukemia, which is what we wanted me to have if I was going to have leukemia. Yay! We were supposed to celebrate, and though the doctors looked really excited, Mommy and Daddy didn't seem to know how to react. I overheard Daddy say later, "Our daughter has cancer... it's surreal."

Later in the day, I took a trip to the Child Life Activity Center (which wasn't really very far). We had to wipe our hands with yucky-smelling wipes when we went in, but at least I got to play in the little kitchen and cook some rice in the microwave. I also enjoyed playing with the My Little Pony tea set, and the nice ladies there let me take some toys back to my room. When I came back to the room for a diaper change, 'Nise was there! She brought me all of my favorite things, too! How fun is that? After visiting for a few minutes, we went back to the play room for a little while, but in the midst of playing hard, I decided I was exhausted.

We got back to the room, and Mommy and Daddy helped me brush my teeth and put me to bed. I was ready to nod off, but then the mean nurses kept coming in to mess with me. They checked my vitals (yet again) and gave me some things called platelets through my IV line. They said that I needed these to get strong right before the surgery in the morning. If you ask me, they looked like orange juice. Unfortunately, I couldn't get comfortable, and as Daddy said, I "ran laps" around my bed until around 11pm. They did let me sleep a little more during the overnight hours, though...

1 comment:

Nancy Garfinkel said...

Trisha,
I believe Dr. Hummel is a second generation doc. His father was the head of the Barrett Breast Center (U.C.) and actually did my bilateral mastectomy. He is the most gentle, gentleman I have ever met - next to Dr. Silverman my GP. I hope Jr. got the gentle gene! Tell him to hug his Dad for me! I'm sure he's every bit as good a doctor. Love!